Reflective Post #1

How can educators  effectively build relationships by encouraging safe communication and interactions in online & open learning spaces? What did you already know, what do you know now based on the course readings and activities, what do you hope to learn?

With the shift in online learning it is very important that we make online learning fun and engaging for all students. In my Kindergarten class last year I started by modeling what a safe and comfortable environment looks like and feels like online. We talked a lot about respecting our friends online and role played how we should communicate with one another. I found the best way to engage students online is through play and live discussions. Every week we would have a live chat where the students were able to talk to their friends. They also used Flipgrid to connect with each other and show what they had been working on at home. The students really enjoyed responding to each other’s videos and it connected me to their home and family. Another great tool I used was prodigy. This math tool allowed students to play with each other and answer questions as a class. 

The article “What is Human-Centered Instruction” (n.d), focuses on ‘tailoring learning to meet students needs’.This statement is vital to create a meaningful learning environment, First, we need to get to know the student on a deeper level and connect with them. After we find out their interests we can find tools and strategies to help them be successful. In my Kindergarten class there are a variety of different needs and abilities. I use epic kids to help my students who can’t speak English yet so they can listen to a story and follow along while other children read. Providing this tool allows them to participate fully with their other classmates. 

Something I want to explore more is how to make online learning accessible to all. Some students do not have the luxury of having a quiet work space at home which can make it difficult to focus and engage in the activities. Some students may only have access to a phone or they might have to share a computer with their entire family. At my school many families did not have access to technology, and it was a challenge to provide equitable learning to all.

What is Human-Centered Instruction? https://www.leadsv.com/hcn

1. edci339student

Great blog, Shelby! I am excited to have a teacher in our group who has experience teaching 🙂 I really like the idea of how you modelled what a safe and comfortable environment looks and feels like online. I think that is a smart way of easing them into the idea of learning online and shows them what to expect and how to act/ behave in a new learning environment. It may not be possible for all teachers and students who are starting school for the first time, but if there is an opportunity to have a transition from in-person to online learning, it can help set expectations and set a precedence to connect in a different environment. I wonder with the impact of the pandemic, and students who have never learned online or are starting school for the first time can be educated on the intimidating transition of learning online? I think we are very similar when it comes to Human-Centered Instruction and how it is critical to create a meaningful learning environment. I agree wholeheartedly that building relationships takes time and we need to connect with them on a deeper level to establish a genuine connection which leads to trust. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I am excited to see what this semester brings 🙂

2. brownsugar

This was very fun and interesting to read Shelby. I really liked that you took the initiative to teach your stuednts about online learning and how to make online leanring a safe place. I completely agree with you that playing games and having live discussions is a great way to connect with students as an instructor. Furthermore, the article you cited is so accurate in regard to coming up with strategies to benefit the student and achieve success in a course. I definitely agree that some students do not have the luxury of working/studying in a quiet area (something I bring up in my blog as well). The environment in which you learn in plays a role in your learning and education. I think in some ways online learning is the future of learning, as it is more convenient and offers great benefits such as rewatching a lecture, or learning in your free time, but if the environment in which you are learning is distracting, maybe online learning is ineffective. Just like you, I also want to learn about how we can make online learning accessible to all.

3. qwaitzner

Hey Shelby, I really liked the input you’ve brought in discussion of this topic! I really like how you brought in examples of how you were able to get students to interact with each other safely using various apps. From telling us how the students were able to safely communicate from their homes to talking about how you could use the technology to teach students to read and learn to speak. I really think some of this information could be useful to imply in other schools and potentially into universities! Lastly I completely agree that schools need to work on the accessibility of all online classes. A lot of the courses are somewhat confusing and could use some clarification as to how to properly use the websites.
    I really enjoyed reading your blog and am excited to see what else you have for us in the next few blog posts!:)